Coasting project: an overview
Nowadays coastline has undergone an intense urbanization process caused by housing needs, industrial uses, tourist exploitation based, most of all, on intensive use patterns. As a result of this process, coastal zones, especially in the Mediterranean area, suffer for the unsustainable expansion of settlements and the exponential increase of tourist flows pressure.
To enhance the development of a sustainable and responsible coastal and maritime tourism in the MED area, COASTING supports the implementation and dissemination of an integrated coastal recovery and management tool based on a multilevel governance model (Coast Contract or Contrat de Baie); through the capitalization process partners will define a common methodology focusing deeper on the tourism sector criticalities and contributing to a joint institutional uptake.
The main objective
COASTING is a capitalisation project based on the ICZM principles application, aiming at enhancing the effectiveness of a multilevel governance tool like Coast Contract, fully framing coastal management and tourism sustainability issues.
- Andalusian Federation of Towns and Provinces (LEAD PARTNER) (ES)
- Lazio Region - Regional Directorate for housing policies and territorial, landscape and urban planning (IT)
- GRC - Gozo Regional Committee (MT)
- Sapienza University of Rome – PDTA Department (IT)
- Aix Marseille Provence Metropolis (FR)
- Dubrovnik Neretva Regional Development Agency DUNEA (HR)
- Region of Epirus - Regional Unit of Thesprotia (EL)
- Municipality of Saranda (AL)
- Sicilian Region - Department of Cultural Heritage and of Sicilian Identity (IT)
UNIMED (IT), Junta de Andalucia (ES), FEMP- Federación Española de Municipios y Provincias (ES)
COASTING had its official start in February 2018 and will proceed with activities untill end January 2020.